Our Story

Beginning life as a small group of friends meeting in a pair of houses on the Lower Higham Road, the church found its spiritual roots in the fires of the healing revival epitomised by the ministries of Smith Wigglesworth and others. Chalk Pentecostal Church, as it was then known, met in one house whilst the Sunday School met in the other. They soon outgrew both of these premises…

Our Journey

A timeline of events since 1959.

Our forefathers


City Praise Centre was formed under the leadership of Pastor Stanley Bennett.

First church is built


The original church hall was constructed debt free in 1973 on the site of the original houses, providing some much needed ‘growing space'. By the mid 1990’s, Pastor Bennett was looking to retire due to failing health.

New leadership


Pastor Tom Griffiths moved from Margate, where he had been serving as Youth Pastor, to assume the overall leadership of the church.

New office wing


Over the last eighteen years CPC (now known as City Praise Centre) has grown to 700 regulars. To cope with these increased numbers, in 2001 the office wing was added.

On the move


As the church continued to grow, City Praise Centre had to relocate. The morning church services were held at Gravesend Boys Grammar School.

On the move


In 2008 City Praise Centre had undergone a major relocation to the Woodville Halls, where its services reach hundreds every Sunday, presenting the gospel in a clear, cringe-free and exciting way!

Welcome


Over the last 60 years it’s been thrilling to see so many people discovering the difference that faith in Jesus Christ can make to everyday life. We are thrilled at the prospect of you joining us, as we ‘build His house’ in our generation.

Meet the City Praise Centre team

find out more